Welcome to the second trimester! You are probably going to look pregnant soon, and trust me that is very exciting. Here is everything you need to know about the second trimester.
When are you in your second trimester?
The first trimester is from week 13 to week 28. That is month 4, 5, and 6.
What happens during the second trimester?
Even though you will probably feel your best during this trimester, a lot is happening. Your baby has all his organs and systems now. He will grow rapidly, and his reflexes will increase. Your body will change as well. You may begin looking pregnant, and you will feel your baby move anytime between weeks 18 and 22 if you are a first-time mom. A baby born after week 24 may be able to live in the NICU.
What are some symptoms you might have during the second trimester?
- Ligament Aches and Pains
- Itchy Belly
- Stretch Marks
- Weight Gain
- Increase in Urination
- Mood Swings
- Congestion and Nose Bleeds
- Varicose Veins
- Change in Skin Pigmentation
- Belly Growth
- Leg Cramps
- Mild Swelling
- Sensitive Teeth
What are some concerning symptoms? You should see a doctor if you have the following.
- Vaginal Bleeding: If you are spotting or have a heavy flow, call your doctor right away.
- Severe Abdominal Pain: If you feel pain in your abdominal area, call your doctor or go to the nearest ER.
- Excessive Swelling: Could be a sign of preeclampsia, call your doctor.
- Excessive Thirst and Fatigue: Could be a sign of gestational diabetes, call your doctor.
How much weight should you gain during the second trimester?
Your baby is growing rapidly. You should gain about 12-14 pounds during this time. That would be equal to about 1-2 pounds per week. Just make sure you track your weight.
Things To Do During The Second Trimester
- Continue taking a prenatal vitamin with at least 400 mcg of folic acid.
- Start preparing for a baby shower and baby gender reveal.
- Begin your baby registry.
- Sign up for prenatal classes.
- Shop for maternity clothes.
- Light Exercise
- Eat healthy food.
- Continue moisturizing.
- Visit a dentist.
Things To Avoid During The Second Trimester
- Strenuous Exercise
- Uncooked Meat including Shellfish and Sushi
- Heat including Hot Tubs and Saunas
- Cat Litter
- Too Much Caffeine
What to expect at your second trimester prenatal visits?
You will be evaluated many times during this trimester. You will see your doctor once every 4 weeks if there is nothing wrong.
- Multiple Markers Screenings: These screenings evaluate if a baby has chromosome disorders including Down syndrome or Edwards syndrome, or neural tube defects such as spina bifida, or a condition called anencephaly.
- Gestational Diabetes
- Your blood Pressure: It will be checked every time to ensure you have no symptoms of preeclampsia.
- Your doctor will examine your belly, baby’s heartbeat, and your weight.
- 20 Week Anatomy Scan: Your baby will be examined thoroughly and you can find out the gender of the baby at that time.
Here is everything you need to know about the second trimester. If you have more questions, leave a comment.